Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Julie & Julia" and the Cooking Project

I eat. A lot.

And, although I am certified foodie (My dad thinks that I was brought to this earth to bring him to financial ruin by asking to be taken out to lunch and dinner REGULARLY...and in not-so-cheap restos at that. My dad even thinks that my desire to travel is brought about by my NEED to eat all sorts of food.), my talent ends with discerning taste buds, a bottomless pit of a stomach, and a never-ending love affair with food.

Bring me to the kitchen and the only use I can be is to wash the dishes (which I love doing!). Hand me a pot or pan and things are sure to get awry. Take it from my sister who claims that I can manage to butcher a simple thing as fried egg. You know those scenes in movies where the annoying career/city girl tries to make something in the kitchen but ends up messing up the place and serving something totally inedible. Well, that's me.

Not that I'm proud of this ineptitude of mine. I would love to know how to cook and make versions of whatever Jamie Oliver or Nigella Lawson are wildly concocting, . Or, even a simple 30-minute-meal by Rachel Ray. God knows I'm sick and tired of opening a can of Century Tuna or boiling hot water for my Yakisoba (Spicy Chicken!) whenever I go hungry in the middle of the night or early in the morning. And, I want to be able to host dinner parties with good food, cheese and wine, and themed decors to match.

So, after watching "Julie & Julia," inspiration hit me. Why not make a blog...and, on top of that, learn to cook by cooking my way through an entire fail-safe cookbook?




Genius!

I haven't decided on what cookbook to do yet (although the obvious shoo-ins are Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson) but I've still got 4 years and change to figure it out.

In the meantime, I leave you with the inspiring words of Chef Gusteau:

"Anyone can cook"...including this rat.




3 comments:

  1. Go for it! I started a separate blog a couple of months ago dedicated to just food. Since I got married, I've been spending an awful lot of time in the kitchen. Instead of just eating my way out into the next room, I thought, why not get my hands dirty and cook. I've been cooking everyday since. :) After all, Julia Child said it best -- "Learn how to cook; try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all, have fun!" Bon Appétit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the words of encouragement!

    Love the new blog, by the way. Chef of Police! So very witty!

    You should update it constantly! It has a lot of potential! And, who knows, you might do a Julie Powell and have your own book and movie and millions of dollars! Then, you can mount your food fight in Africa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that would be so effing AWESOME. Especially the million-of-dollars bit. haha

    The husband's buying me a copy of "Martha Stewart's Cooking School" book tomorrow. Super excited. :)

    We should have a Tupperware party soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete